SLN recommend the following links to assist you with your school linking programmes in relation to the new Ofsted Framework and Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development.
- The Framework for School Inspection from September 2012
- New Ofsted Guidance to Inspectors (January 2012) which includes definitions of SMSC to be used in inspection
- Evidence Form used to record in Ofsted inspections
- RE Today – extracts taken from the New Ofsted Guidance to Inspectors (January 2012)
- Definitions of SMSC issued by Ofsted (2004)
- Subject specific guidance for inspections that focus on one subject eg PSHCE, Citizenship, English, IT, History (January 2012)
- SLN examples of resources for activities that can support SMSC development of pupils
What Does SMSC Development Look Like? - a Schools Linking Network (SLN) document outlining the Ofsted definitions of Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development, now ever more centre stage in schools since the January 2012 changes.
Subsidary Guidance Supporting Inspection of Maintained Schools and Academies (September 2012) - subsidiary guidance inspectors use to support them in reaching judgements. In particular this document includes the definitions inspectors will use to reach judgements about SMSC.
Guidance for Inspectors Making Judgement - generic grade descriptors and supplementary subject-specific guidance for inspectors on making judgments during subject survey visits to schools. This link is to the guidance documents for all school subjects across all Key Stages. English, IT, Citizenship, PSHE, Religious Education, Enterprise, History or Geography may be particularly relevant to those engaged in school linking depending on the themes chosen.